Monday, November 17, 2014

Airbnb, first impressions





I was really nervous about renting a room through Airbnb. Who hasn't heard those horror stories about crazy roommates? (Thanks for reminding me about them, Mom.) I was able to rationalize my fear of renting by remembering that crazy roommates happen in college dorms all the time. It's just a part of the experience when forced to live with strangers. 

Those selfies above were taken five minutes after I arrived at my new place in Limoilou, a little quartier about twenty minutes from Vieux Quebec. A little while later my new roommate would inform me that the bathroom is the best place in the apartment for selfies. 

I had such an insane case of jitters when I was moving last weekend.  I was a little scared of living with a new person that I found on the internet. I didn't exactly know where I was living. BUT. My roommate is the nicest lady and my new quartier is lovely. My roommate is easy to talk to and she made sure I was properly outfitted for the Quebec cold. 

When I first arrived, Celine Dion was blasting from the radio and I felt like I was in a Quebecois sitcom. And sometimes when we have conversations I feel like we would make a perfect reality show. However, my French has improved so much! I can now have normal conversations without the other person looking at me like I'm completely crackers. 

I have my own room (pictures coming soon!) and I'm free to use to the kitchen, washing machine and bathroom (obviously). I think I paid a little over $400 USD for five weeks, a great deal considering I got everything I wanted. And I'm not living in a hostel. Ha!

Before finding this room through Airbnb, I tried using Kijiji, a Canadian craigslist, but had little to no success. I found a few rooms, but it was so hard to get in contact with the owner! Renting through Airbnb is incredibly easy. Paying is easy and feels very secure, because the person you rent from doesn't get the money until you check in. No chance they'll take your money and split!

Finding a room is easy using Airbnb's search filters- I searched for a private room under $500 with a kitchen, internet and washing machine. Even though I'm a little further out than before, I really like my location. I've already found the neighborhood cafe! I plan on exploring Limoilou this week, if it doesn't snow too much.

I'm about a ten minute walk from the bus stop, but I don't mind the walk. It's good to be forced to exercise, heaven knows how many maple cookies I eat. 

I'll be sure to write a follow up post when I conclude my five week stay, but my first impressions are very favorable and my roommate isn't crazy. #winning  

If you have any other questions about my move or anything, let me know if the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment